What I'm after in a TouchPad video player is:
- Must be free. I certainly don't pay for the likes of mplayer or VLC on my desktop, netbook or laptop, so why should I pay for something like that for my TouchPad?
- Must be able to handle at least 480p without issues in DivX (720p is optional). That includes correct audio syncing, support for AC3 and MP3 audio and automatic detection of the aspect ratio (with a manual aspect override if it's been coded wrong, which happens surprisingly often).
- Some sort of automatic multi-speed picture search fast-forward, since I use that a lot in mplayer (via the arrow keys) to skip boring bits.
- Basic video player controls like a typical Flash video player has (slider, elapsed/remaining/total time, pause/start/stop).
- Play from local filestore with a basic file browser. Would be nice if file list could be sorted in date or alphabetical order (for episodic viewing).
- Optional: Pick up files via DLNA.
It's pretty sad that the TouchPad has no free usable DivX video player - yes, it'll do YouTube (Flash) and claims to do H.264 (but probably in some useless container format), but the lack of DivX is something of a major weak point of the TouchPad and makes me yearn for the TouchPad Android port to be completed. If you know of a decent free DivX video player for the TouchPad, please leave a comment below.